Ingredients (makes 12 large cupcakes or 16 smaller ones):
For the cakes:
- 3 medium carrots (peeled and finely grated, for a more airy cupcake use 4)
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 120g unsalted butter (I like to use pure soya spread instead for a lighter cupcake)
- 150g light muscovado sugar
- 180g self raising flour
- 2 medium eggs (beaten)
- 180g sea salted butter (just normal salted will do if you can't find this)
- 200g icing sugar
- 4 tablespoons dulche-de-leche or canned caramel
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Large chocolate buttons
- Pink dotted balls/large sprinkles
- Turquoise balls for the eyes
- White chocolate
- Paint Brush
- Preheat the oven to 180 C/ 170 for fan ovens
- Cream together softened butter and sugar in a large bowl until thoroughly mixed.
- Sift the flour and the bicarbonate of soda in a separate bowl.
- Add the beaten eggs to the sugar/butter mixture, add a tbsp flour while mixing. Add the rest of the flour/bicarbonate mixture and the grated carrots. Mix it all thoroughly.
- Spoon into cupcake cases, bake for 15-20 mins, the cakes should spring back up when pressed with a finger when they are done.
For the butter cream:
- Soften the salted butter, mix with dulche de leche and the salt. Gradually sift in the icing sugar while stirring.
- Melt some white chocolate. Lay out the large buttons on a tray with greaseproof paper on. You will need 2 buttons for each teddy cake, 1 for the ear and 1 for the nose.
- For the noses, paint the melted white chocolate on the back of your pink sprinkle and place in the top half/centre of your button.
- For the ears, paint the melted white chocolate as a circle in the centre of the ear. Once the chocolate has set, cut the ears in half with a sharp knife.
- Frost your cupcakes, add the ears, nose and eyes (unless of course you want your teddies to be blind) then SCOFF THEM. om nom nom
My dog decided I was paying FAR too much attention to baking and not enough time paying attention to her. So she spent most of my baking session posed like this expecting tummy rubs:
Poor Effy didn't even get to sample any cupcakes! :(