Saturday, 28 December 2013

Remake & Remodel - The final 3D prototype

You can find my previous Remake & Remodel project posts here.

Once I finished my bacteria inspired designs I then had to create a 3D prototype of part of my final design. I chose to create the bubble platform. This was a big challenge for me as I'm so used to working in 2D or just applying paint to a 3D surface. The final prototype is made of carved industrial foam, putty, foam spheres and spray paint. I now have a new appreciation for just how time consuming and hard work it would be to develop a professional three dimensional heel. I can't wait to learn new techniques to make objects like this though, hopefully I'll get to use the 3D printer next term!

I feel like I've learned a lot through this project, much of it is thanks to some amazing feedback sessions with my tutors and lots of bouncing ideas off my course mates. The areas I feel I could improve particularly are research and design development. After working for myself and blogging about my illustrations I'm so used to showing the final product and am too much of a perfectionist when developing initial designs. I realize I now need to use quick sketches to develop ideas and make my sketchbook research seem less rigid and for it to flow better and make sense.

You can see more of my uni work here, and more of my illustrations here.


3 comments:

  1. wow :) it's really exciting to see you work through this process......i can't wait to see what you do with a 3D printer :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That looks amazing. ♥ It's so cool that you now get to start using 3D more. It's good to experiment.

    Abigail
    www.deardaffodils.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete