Lemon curd is one of those foods that makes me feel nostalgic. I remember making lemon curd tarts with my mum as a child. I'd always eat most of the lemon curd before we got around to putting it in the tarts.
Of course, being vegan these days I can't just go to a shop and buy lemon curd, so I taught myself to make it.
I love how indulgent it tastes and how the zingyness of the lemon cuts through the creamyness of the coconut cream.
This recipe is for a sour, tart curd, just how I like it. If you have a sweeter tooth reduce the lemon juice by half a cup.
1 & 3/4 cups lemon juice
The zest of 2 lemons
1 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
2 tbsp coconut cream or thick coconut milk
2 tbsp dairy free butter/margarine
- In a saucepan, heat the lemon juice, zest, salt and sugar.
- Gradually sift in the corflour, while stirring the mixture.
- Heat until the mixture begins to bubble and thicken.
- Add the coconut cream & dairy free butter.
- Continue to heat and stir until the mixture can coat the back of the spoon.
- Remove from the heat, place in a heatproof container and allow to cool.
- Refrigerate once the mixture has fully cooled.
What's your favorite use for lemon curd? I'm working on my pastry recipe so I can bring you some lemon curd & jam tart recipes in the near future :)
I'll be posting my Blueberry curd recipe next Sunday too!